Minneapolis Institute of Arts
Working with Kenzo Tange the celebrated Japanese architect, the Museum's program called for a 110,000 square foot addition to the existing 120,000 square foot classical McKim, Mead & White building constructed in 1915. The primary design challenge was maintaining and complementing the original symmetrical design, and its symbolic presence on the street. The new white glazed brick addition fills out the ends of the original Beaux Arts building like book ends, further emphasizing the monumental aspects of the original design. The interiors of the new addition are filled with filtered light, and the elegant three-story exhibit spaces incorporate clean crisp lines that create a perfect setting for the art that is displayed on its walls.